My Story: Kristi Lazzari

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited February 2016 in Stories

ADHD article: My Story: Kristi LazzariMy Story: Kristi Lazzari

I was in my 30s before I sought diagnosis, and it was as if a light suddenly came on. All the things I'd always beat myself up for began to make sense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I can't seem to get anything done! My mind is ALL OVER THE PLACE! My husband doesn't like me being on my medication Vyvanse, so I had to quit taking it. Help!
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @Nicki thank you for reaching out. Is there a reason your husband didn't like you taking that medication? Have you tried a different medication that might have the same impact with fewer symptoms? Your mental health is important.
    -Alyssa
  • @Nicki why exactly did your husband dislike you taking a medication a doctor prescrobed for you to treat a real condition you're suffering with. The question I want to ask is how Nicki did you feel on that particular medication and that should matter most not whether he dislikes you on the medication. If you benefit from it don't let him make you feel like you have to stop it! I'm sure that is easy for him to say he doesn't know the half of what we go through! Also what were his reasons for not liking you being on the medication I'd it helps you he should support you period!
  • CksCks Member
    What about anxiety? My 20 yr old son takes vyvance for the ADHD during regular school year but stays off during the summer. His anxiety is always present and I notice he is self soothing through alcohol with friends at college andnwhen he comes home. Very worried with new pattern. I hate to put him antiaxity meds.
  • AlyssaWinegardenAlyssaWinegarden New Life Outlook
    @Cks Thanks so much for reaching out! It's not uncommon for anxiety and ADHD to occur together. This article on ADHD and anxiety might help provide some insight and tips for coping:

https://adhd.newlifeoutlook.com/adhd-anxiety/

-Alyssa
  • JillW1966JillW1966 Member
    edited April 8
    Thanks for sharing, Kristi. I relate so much. I’m 51 and was diagnosed officially around 45. I had suspicions as a teacher. I also had crippling anxiety and unbalanced hormones my whole life (from the start of puberty.). The only way I made it through college was after a panic attack out of nowhere at about age 22 with a small child, a therapist diagnosed me with depression and prescribed an SSRI (Zoloft, Prozac, etc.) This did help with focus and PMS, but I hated the side affects and wouldn’t take it regularly. I am so angry at doctors who never got to the bottom of this. I wasn’t depressed for the most part. I had barely made it out of high school, but made a better score on the ACT than friends who were on the honor roll. I’ve never had long term relationships. I gained a lot of weight on the SSRI’s, felt like a zombie, etc. I wasted my 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s being miserable. I left my teaching job at a great school about a year after I was diagnosed. I was peri-menopausal and dealing with my son’s deployments to Afghanistan, his getting married (a good thing for most people) and a break up by a guy who was a total narcissist. It all turned into a nervous breakdown - if you will - in 2013. I’ve been to Hell and still trying to get back. There is so much more to my story, but I think people and doctors should be aware that the combination of ADHD and crazy, unbalanced hormones in young women is a recipe for the perfect storm. I never saw the movie, but understand it doesn’t turn out well. In my case, we believe that the ADHD came first, then out of balance hormones, then horrible anxiety, with some OCD. I truly believe many young women’s lives could be saved way in advance if doctors would just listen!! Sorry for rambling. Jill

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR