How Do We Cope With ADHD Clumsiness?

New Life OutlookNew Life Outlook New Life Outlook
edited November 2017 in Coping

Comments

• I just picked up the remote for the tv as I moved to my desk to work on the computer and pretty well instantly it slipped out my hands! I swear it was as if I just picked up the remote to drop it? Batteries and cover off and out all over the floor.

I am always clumsy! How many keyboards have I had to replace because I knocked my drink into it, I drop pills every time I load up my container for the day, I have coordination problems not only on my feet, but quite often when I am driving. You can tell and ADDer by the amount of dents and scratches in their car. :(. And on and on, so I just decided ask google if there really is a correlation between ADD ADHD and clumsiness?

I shouldn’t really have to look this up as it is quite obvious.

Just as people have intense difficulties in interacting with me and demanding that I do better, pay attention, listen, concentrate...
    My Doctor always tells me that I can remind these people that I can do as they ask or I can be myself and enjoy the company but I can not do both very well at the same time.

I don’t remember much about the first diagnosis and testing back in the mid 1970’s when I was 6 or 7 years old with an educational psychologist and believe it or not, in Central Africa (Rhodesia) now Zimbabwe. What I do remember was the intense interest in my efforts to balance on balance beam whilst walking and how dismally I failed at it?

So, yes I believe there is a strong correlation between ADD ADHD and clumsiness.
  • I once saw a therapist to figure out what my triggers were. One was constantly hurting myself. I counted on average, accidentally bumping, smacking, smashing my body appendages; 20 times per day. Couple that with a bleeding autoimmune disorder that I was diagnosed with in my 20’s, I was in trouble. The therapist kept saying it was due to ADHD and no one had ever mentioned that to me before. She encouraged medication but I wasn’t ready to dive into that one.

Fast forward I took my first antidepressant (SSRI). After being a year on the medication it dawned on me- I was not constantly I mean CONSTANTLY clumsy. It was an amazing revelation that I tied to the medication. It was gone! I didn’t even connect the 2.

This “clumsiness” runs in the family. We have 3 broken ankles on one side, 2 broken wrists, back injuries from falls. All on my mom’s side. I won’t get into my whole childhood making sense, but I started realizing everything, that I was so much like my daughter. I have 2 who were lucky enough to have it. One is what I like to name as the stable child lol. The oldest doesn’t hurt herself much but hurts everyone around her. Stepping on feet, accidentally poking someone in the eye, appendages flying. Usually the poor stable one is who gets hurt (her quote “why am I always getting hurt!”) my youngest is extremely clumsy but not as bad in relation to others around her. I used to get so sad seeing her get hurt constantly. She once ripped off her entire thumb nail by brushing up against a brick wall. My friend who also has add with her kids....they break things constantly but not intentionally. It’s interesting how the clumsiness can vary in different ways. All I can say was it was a very stressful and aggraving part of my life that made me angry. It certainly was a trigger! I was much more focused on the ssri as well and found the most support on an snri with stimulant. I can’t tell you how life changing this is. I want to be loving and supportive to my girls about this condition, which is both a disability and a blessing (which is not always easy to say as its perpetuated a lot of problems in my life and had been deeply intertwined with depression). When you come out of a lifetime storm and it’s calm on the the side, you can do and conquer so much more without barriers to climb over.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our Newsletter

New Life Outlook on FacebookSubscribe with Facebook

OR